About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, teacher, runner, baker, fund-raiser, reader, watcher of movies, dog-lover, writer, music-lover and foodie. So - I'm a woman of many moods! I write and share in order to teach and enrich. I currently have two blogs going: The Kitchen Refugee, and A Mile At A Time. The first is about time spent in the kitchen and the second about time spent on the road. Frequently the two roads intersect!

Monday, November 8, 2010

It's Soup Season!

As rain is falling on the leaves in the yard - the ones that blew down just after I had finished raking up seven bags - I feel the urge to fill the house with the smell of our fall and winter favorite: soup and bread.  The combinations vary, but tonight, it's clam chowder and artisan bread.

Chowder is one of my husband's favorites, and he's even been known to pop open a can of Snows from time to time.
Personally, I can't face that gluey mess!

The Chowder Recipe is from a local restaurant, Ten Depot Street. http://www.tendepotstreet.com/
Owner, Sandy Sorrels, frequently shares recipes in her weekly advertising column in The Observer.  Clam chowder is a fan favorite. I really like this recipe, and having the option to have it at the restaurant or to make it at home.

This makes a lot, so make sure you have a VERY LARGE pot to cook it in.
It seems like this is a lot of work, but it's mostly in the prep.  If I know I'm going to make chowder during the week, I'll throw in extra bakers some night for dinner, and cook extra bacon at breakfast - those two seem to take the longest to get ready!



10 Depot's Clam Chowder
• 2 8 oz. cans/jars of clam juice
• 4 cans chopped clams
• 3/4 gallon milk (2% at the very least)
• 2 stalks diced celery
• 1 onion, diced
• 1/2 large carrot, grated
• 1/2 bunch parsley, diced
• 4 medium baked potatoes, chopped to bite sized pcs. (don't over-bake - they'll get more cook time in the soup pot!)
• 1 lb bacon, cooked, chopped
• 1/2 TB pepper
• 1 1/2 tsps. EACH - onion powder, garlic powder
• 1 tsp. thyme
• 1/4 tsp Tobasco
• 1/2 tsp Worcestershire
• 1/2 cup white wine
• 1 3/4 cups roux (flour/water paste)

In a large pot, combine milk, clams, clam juice, spices/sauces, and bring to a boil.
As soon as the soup boils, whisk in the roux until the soup is tight and the roux is dissolved.
Turn the heat down to low.

While waiting for your liquids to come up to a bowl, prep your veggies. Saute carrot, parsley, onion and celery until tender.  Add the 1/2 cup of wine to deglaze the pan.

For Roux - In a separate bowl, I just start whisking flour and water together until I have a really thick mixture.  Measure out 1 3/4 cup and dump the rest.  I can never get it done exactly - I always have to add flour or water until it's the right consistency, then I've got too much!

Add the veggies, bacon and potatoes.  Heat this all together and let it simmer 15 minutes or so to bring all the flavors together.
Absolutely full to the brim - I need a bigger pot!


Serve with salad and the bread of your choice and you've got a party!  OR you've got a quiet Sunday night in front of the fire.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment