About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, teacher, runner, baker, fund-raiser, reader, watcher of movies, dog-lover, writer, music-lover and foodie. So - I'm a woman of many moods! I write and share in order to teach and enrich. I currently have two blogs going: The Kitchen Refugee, and A Mile At A Time. The first is about time spent in the kitchen and the second about time spent on the road. Frequently the two roads intersect!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Biggest Loser Breakfast

    As I approach my 45th year, I have realized that I am carrying almost 45 lbs. of extra baggage on my frame.  I'm surprised to find myself weighing more than I did when I was pregnant and was sure I was the biggest show on earth!  How did this happen?

    I know part of it happened while I was absent from my blog.  Sadly, I was absent from my own life as well.  A series of life events over the past two years simply heaped upon me and buried me like quicksand. I spent most of September through November in a nest of blankets and tears.  When I realized I was out of control, I saw my health care professional and cautiously began a round of antidepressants.  I have to say that I wasn't sure I believed in their benefit.  Now, I know what a Godsend they are.  I'm not one to medicate, and I think I have a pretty strong character.  However, no amount of self talk could get me on track.  Within about 8 days on the meds, I recognized joy and contentment like long lost friends, and I cherished their presence.

    Now with a good two months under my belt, I've regained my sense of self, my attention span, and my life.  I've spent January in a serious commitment to my health.  Finally able to leave my bed of pain, I've been on the eliptical or snow shoes on a regular basis, and cutting my calories with new resolve.

    I ordered a Biggest Loser Calendar from ammazon.com and when it arrived I found that it had recipes and helpful hints for feeling full and satisfied.  I'm a closet fan of this show.  I guess I figure if a 400-pound person can lose more than half their body weight, surely I can lose 40 pounds!  My new breakfast (or lunch) recipe came from the calendar and I've adapted it somewhat.

Broccoli and Cheddar Mini Frittatas 
Biggest Loser Family Cookbook


• 1 cup steamed broccoli 
(I do a quick zap in the microwave until bright green and soft to the fork)
• 2 cups egg substitute
• 2 oz. (1 cup) Cabot's 75% Light Cheddar Cheese, or your favorite low-fat cheddar
• Olive Oil cooking spray


Preheat oven to 350º F.  Lightly spray 8 cups of a standard muffin tin with the olive oil spray.

Place 2 TB broccoli in each cup.  Pour 1/4 cup of egg substitute over broccoli.  Bake for 7-9 minutes until almost set.  Sprinkle cheese evenly over the tops of the frittatas.  Bake for 8-10 minutes longer or until the egg is no longer runny and the cheese is melted.  Transfer the tin to a cooling rack and allow frittatas to rest for two minutes before serving.

Makes 4 (2-frittata) servings
Per serving: 102 calories, 18 g protein, 4 carbs, 2 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 362 mg sodium.


Now for the way I make them...
1. I couldn't find any low-fat cheese, so I opted for a vegan cheese.  It's fine, but not great, and therefore, I barely use any at all.  Calories cut!  It gives the 'impression' of cheese, but it's really not!  If you buy this, read the directions.  What I bought says it has a short shelf life, so it recommends grating and freezing to use as needed.

2. I hate egg substitute, so I bought All Whites brand liquid egg whites.  I think it's the yolk substitute that gives off a weird taste, so the whites were much easier to accept.

3. For a little more flavor, I have also added Oscar Meyer Turkey Bacon.  One strip is 30 calories.  I cook it, blot it, mince it, add 1 tsp. per muffin cup, and freeze the rest.

Cooking directions are the same as above, and two muffin cups are a serving.  If I want a little more oomph, I'll chop them up and wrap them in a high fiber tortilla.  Most days I just eat two frittatas and an apple.

I like making these ahead -they keep, and microwave well.  They are a great for lunch too!

Now - don't panic.  I'm making some changes, but I still love butter and sugar - so I'm not about to only blog about skinny food!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment