About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, teacher, runner, baker, fund-raiser, reader, watcher of movies, dog-lover, writer, music-lover and foodie. So - I'm a woman of many moods! I write and share in order to teach and enrich. I currently have two blogs going: The Kitchen Refugee, and A Mile At A Time. The first is about time spent in the kitchen and the second about time spent on the road. Frequently the two roads intersect!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Biggest Loser Black Bean Hummus

This is another recipe I took from the 20011 Biggest Loser Calendar.  I've made some additions that should not change the calorie count at all.


Black Bean Hummus
1 can of black beans (they call for you to cook your own - not interested!)
1 can of garbanzo beans (or double the black beans)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup silken tofu (silken refers to its softness.  I hadn't bought tofu before and learned something new when comparing packages)
2 TB Tahini paste
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
juice from 1 small lime
1/4 tsp. salt
sprinkle of paprika
1/4 bunch of cilantro - leaves picked from the stems (this is my own addition)


Rinse the beans from their juice, then throw all of it in a food processor.  Whirl until well mixed and smooth.

Serving: 1/4 cup, 111 calories, 6 g. protein, 12 g carbs, 5 g fat (the good kind)





Dip in what you like.  I'm sure veggies are the best choice, but if I'm having it for a meal instead of a snack I've been eating it with Special K Multigrain crackers (17 crackers = 90 calories).  OR I put the hummus in a high fiber tortilla wrap along with a bunch of veggies/salad mix.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment