About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, teacher, runner, baker, fund-raiser, reader, watcher of movies, dog-lover, writer, music-lover and foodie. So - I'm a woman of many moods! I write and share in order to teach and enrich. I currently have two blogs going: The Kitchen Refugee, and A Mile At A Time. The first is about time spent in the kitchen and the second about time spent on the road. Frequently the two roads intersect!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Indian Chicken Curry and Naan

Sunday seems to be my busiest day in the kitchen.  In fact, I better stop procrastinating my homework because I keep finding myself torn between my kitchen and the computer, with a 5:00 deadline looming.
I love to putter in the kitchen, and Sunday is generally the day I make sandwich bread, granola if we're out, and something new and interesting.

My daughter sent me this recipe after she had found it at allrecipes.com.  It's easy, and delicious.  It's also quite hot, and although Alli chose to add MORE cayenne pepper, I chose to use less!  It had plenty of kick already!

Indian Chicken Curry II 
Ingredients:
• 3 TB olive oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced (I added more!)
• 3 TB curry powder (I used 2 rounded)
•1 tsp. cinnamon
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
• 1/2 tsp. white sugar
• salt to taste (I used 1 tsp. after starting with 1/2)
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
• 1 TB tomato paste
• 1 cup plain yogurt (I used non-fat)
• 3/4 cup coconut milk (I used 'light')
• 1/2 lemon, juiced
• 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (I used a dash!)

Directions
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion until lightly browned.  Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar and salt.  Continue stirring for 2 minutes.  Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

2. Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper.  Simmer 5 more minutes.

Serve over rice, or with naan.


Naan 
This recipe comes from The Bread Machine Bible, by Anne Sheasby. My bread machine kicked the bucket, so I'm adapting the recipes.  If you have a bread machine - dump in all the ingredients and set the machine to "Basic Dough" or "Pizza Dough." 


Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup milk (at room temperature)
• 4 TB plain yogurt (at room temperature)
• 1 TB sunflower oil (I used olive oil)
• 2 cups + 2 TB white bread flour
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
• 1 tsp. instant dry yeast
• about 3 TB melted ghee or butter (I omitted this)

Directions:
1. Pour milk into a bowl, add the yogurt and oil and whisk well.  Sprinkle in yeast and let stand for 5   minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients (except butter) and mix until it forms a ball of dough.

2.  Cover the dough and let rise until doubled in size.

3. Punch down the dough and divide it into 4 equal pieces.  Roll out each piece to form a flat oval or teardrop shape, approximately 1/4" thick.  Cover and leave for 15 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 450º F. (I just realized I only cooked the bread at 350º since that's what it was already set at for the granola! It still worked out!)  Put a cookie sheet in the oven to heat.  Place naan breads on the hot cookie sheets and brush with melted butter.  Bake 10-12 minutes until puffed.  Wrap in a clean dish towel and serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment