About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, teacher, runner, baker, fund-raiser, reader, watcher of movies, dog-lover, writer, music-lover and foodie. So - I'm a woman of many moods! I write and share in order to teach and enrich. I currently have two blogs going: The Kitchen Refugee, and A Mile At A Time. The first is about time spent in the kitchen and the second about time spent on the road. Frequently the two roads intersect!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Treats for Man's Best Friend

Are you rolling your eyes at the title?
Thinking I've lost it completely since I'm cooking for my dogs?
Well, I don't have any kids at home.  I have a new mixer AND a new eating plan, so this gives me the satisfaction of baking for an appreciative audience! They NEVER complain!  (Of course, they have been known to eat their own poop...)

This recipe came with the dog-bone cookie cutters I bought at Bella (www.bellabakercity.com).  I saw them and thought they were a fun novelty.  The recipe is easy, and I like knowing exactly what I'm feeding my dogs.  There's no 'mystery product' or excess fats.
Dave's Good for Your Dog Biscuits

Classic Christmas photo - they all look like I've just beaten them!
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 1 cup unbleached white flour
• 1/2 cup corn meal
• 1/4 cup wheat germ
• 1 cup beef, chicken or vegetable stock
• 1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 tsp. instant dry yeast
• 3 TB vegetable oil
• 2 TB molasses
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (OR 2 TB dried)

Baby Lilly 

Mix in heavy duty mixer, food processor, or by hand.  Knead in the last bit of flour by hand.  Cover dough and let rest for 1 hour.

Heat oven to 300ยบ.
Roll out dough until it's 3/8" - 1/2" thick.  Cut into shapes with cookie cutters and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Continue to do this until all cookies have been cut.

Bake for 1 hour, turn off the oven and let biscuits remain there for another hour until very hard.  Keep in an airtight container...out of paw's reach.
Your dogs will thank you!

                             
       Earl 
Annie (best shelter dog ever!)


Earl & Lilly take a break from frisbee
and pose for the paparazzi!

1 comment:

  1. are these your furry friends?! They are absolutely gorgeous. I just want to roll around in the snow with them and play! :)

    ReplyDelete